Vada pav the famous street food of Mumbai has always been my favorite, though in Mysore we get it in only 2 places but have always liked the combo of potato vada stuffed in fresh pav. I have never been to Mumbai but it is in my top list of cities to be visited. I remember having it once Mumbai style on a train journey when travelling and had prepared the same for breakfast and they turned out to be very nice. It is a very standard and simple recipe but there is only one twist in the recipe and i loved this method which was shared by my big sis some time back…….Do read the recipe to see the change and do try it out this way you will be very happy with the finale assemble on hand.
Pav Bread – 6 No’s
Potatoes – 3
Onion – 1
G.Chill – 1
Garlic Cloves – 2
Ginger – 1/2″ peice
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Haldi 1/2 tsp
Amchoor Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – For frying + 1 tbsp
Besan – 1/2 cup
Rice Flour – 2 Tbsp
R.Chilli Powder – 1tsp
Haldi – 1/2 tsp
salt to taste
Hot oil – 1tsp
Green coriander Chutney
Fried G. Chilli
1. Boil, peel and mash potaotes.
2. Grind G.chilli, garlic and ginger to a coarse paste
3. Chop onion finely
4. Heat oil in a pan, when hot add mustard seeds and then onions and corsely ground g.chilli paste
5. Add haldi, mashed potatoes, salt and amchoor powder
6. Mix everything nicely and add coriander leaves.
7. Let cool for sometime and then prepare small lemon sized balls. I coul make 10 balls out of them.
1. Mix all the ingredients mentioned under batter except oil and add water and whisk nicely to prepare a lumpfree thich batter.
2. Rest the batter for 10 mins and add 1 tsp oil to it.
1.Heat oil in a pan
2.Take the small potato balls and dunk them in the batter and let coat on all sides nicely and drop them in hot oil.
3. Fry on medium flame till lightly browned from outside and keep turning them in regular interval.
4. Remove them and drain on a paper napkin to remove the excess oil.
To make the pavs ready.
1. Heat a steamer and place a plate on top.
2.Slit the pav without cutting them completely and add a small dash of butter on top of the pav and also in the centre.
3. Steam then for 5 mins , make sure that the pav shouldn’t come in contact with water boiling below.
Spread Coriander Chutney on one side of the pav and galric chutney on the other side.
Place the all vada between the pav and slightly flatten the pav
Top it with fried g.chilli( Make a slit in the center of the chilli and deep fry in oil till it lightly changes color.)
Do try steaming the pav and you will be very happy with the result, the pavs turn out to be buttery and melt in the mouth texture.
Serve these hot.
This is off to My Favorite Dish an event hosted by Ammaji Recipes